Tracey Tokuhama-Espinosa, author of “Raising Multilingual Children” and five other books on the brain and learning, will be visiting various destinations in Switzerland in November to present her dynamic workshops. These workshops organised by Know it All Passport are very popular so book early to avoid disappointment! See details below. Also coming up on the agenda, is a Gala Dinner on the 31st October organised by “Friends of India”. The guest speaker at this dinner will be Lord Paddy Ashdown, diplomat, humanitarian, international envoy and author. Details below.
Raising Multilingual Children: Foreign Language Acquisition and Children
by world-renowned specialist in education and neuroscience, Tracey Tokuhama-Espinosa, Ph.D. Tracey is half Japanese-American, half Irish-Native American and is married to an Ecuadorian. Her 3 children aged 19, 17 and 15 speak fluent English, Spanish and German and some French.
Tracey says there are ten key factors which influence every student’s success with new languages:
1) Timing 2) Aptitude 3) Motivation 4) Strategy 5) Consistency 6) Opportunity 7) Language Typology 8) Siblings 9) Gender 10) Hand-use.
Each person will combine these “ingredients” together in their own unique “recipe” for learning. This workshop will familiarise teachers and parents with the factors and suggest tools for enhancing those which are shaped in the school context. Tracey will also explain how children learn languages and answer your questions. For example:
* Is it OK to have 2, 3, 4 languages at the same time or is it better for children to learn languages consecutively?
* When should your children learn multi-literacy skills?
* Who should speak what in order to maximize the best language skills?
* Should you learn a foreign language alongside your children? * Raising your child multilingualy has worked so far, but now your child is growing up and you have different questions about identity, literacy, strategy, etc.
* Come with your own questions and be prepared to share your own concerns about the best way to raise multilingual children.
18:00 Registration and welcome drink
18h:30- 20:00 Ten key factors which influence every student’s success with new languages
20:00- 20:30 Break with drinks and food
20:00-21:45 How children learn languages and Q&A
The workshops will take place in the following locations.
VERBIER, November 13, LAUSANNE, November 14, GENEVA, November 15, ZURICH, November 16
Reserve early as spaces are limited. See here
Gala Dinner 31st October with Lord Paddy Ashdown as guest speaker, For full details see Friends of India